Disputing Capital Value

If you are a property owner, you would regularly receive notice about the valuation of your property on your Council Rates, SA Water and Emergency Services Levy accounts.

These accounts are sometimes referred to as your “Notice of Valuation”. Councils, SA Water and Revenue SA use the Valuer-General’s valuations in the determination of the amount you pay.

Each year, the State Valuation Office reviews all properties in the State and this new valuation will take into account the current market conditions as well as the location and condition of the property. If your property value has changed substantially from the previous year, you may have some questions about how the valuation was made.

If you wish to formally object to your valuation, you do so in writing within 60 days of the receipt of the Notice of Valuation. The objection should clearly state the grounds of the objection.

Property owners may wish to call the customer service centre, State Valuation Office, between the hours of 9.00am and 5.00pm on 1300 653 346 and request an objection package be sent out to them. The objection package includes an objection form, a fact sheet and a pre-paid envelope.

Alternatively, information and lodgment of objections can be accessed by visiting the Land Services Group website at www.landservices.sa.gov.au

To assist consumers with real estate queries, REISA operates a free information service – REISA Query Connect on free call 1800 804 365, between the hours of 9.00am to 4.00pm each weekday. This service is staffed by knowledgeable real estate professionals with many years of practical experience.