Preparing your Home for Sale
“There's no second chance to make a first impression”
First impressions count when you are selling your home so it is important that you take the time to prepare for sale to ensure your home is as attractive as possible to potential purchasers. There are many low cost improvements that can make a big difference to 'first impressions'.
The exterior of your house and the front garden are the first things potential purchasers will see when they arrive at your property. There are many small projects that can add to the 'street appeal' and, listed below, are some tips that may assist you:
- Paint any exterior surfaces of the house (if necessary)
- Repair and paint (if necessary) any fencing/gates/letterbox
- Pressure clean driveways and paving to remove any oil stains etc.
- Remove cobwebs from all surfaces
- Clean windows and screens
- Mow the lawns and prune any shrubs
- Plant flowering annuals and shrubs in garden beds or, in pots near the house
- Purchase fresh mulch for garden beds shortly before your first open
Similar projects should be considered for the rear of the house and back garden.
Before undertaking any major projects, such as expensive renovations to a bathroom or kitchen, it may be advisable to seek advice of a real estate professional to find out if such renovations will add to the financial return at the time of sale.
There are many low cost projects which will also enhance the appearance of the interior of the house and, listed below are some tips that may assist you:
- It is important to de-clutter by sorting and removing any excess items such as furniture, toys etc. If not needed in your new home, donate these items to charity alternatively, storage space can be rented for very reasonable rates
- Paint walls, ceilings and woodwork (if necessary) but choose neutral tones as potential purchasers will have their own ideas regarding colour choice
- If painting is not necessary, clean walls, particularly in high traffic areas
- Undertake a thorough 'spring' clean of all areas of the house paying particular attention to the kitchen and bathroom/s
- Clean curtains and/or blinds
- Clean windows
- Clean light fittings and/or purchase new fittings to cover any bare globes
- Have carpets professionally cleaned to remove any stains and odours
When you have completed what you think is necessary, it can be helpful to get an opinion from an independent source e.g. a friend or neighbour, to ensure you have done enough to prepare for sale.
To assist consumers with real estate queries, REISA operates a free information service – REISA Query Connect on free call 1800 804 365, between the hours of 9.00am to 4.00pm each weekday. This service is staffed by knowledgeable real estate professionals with many years of practical experience.